Choice Boards is a simple but useful iPad app that facilitates making and communicating choices. It is designed for children and adults with autism (ASD) or other conditions that make communication difficult. Can be used as a form of Augmentative and Alternate Communication (AAC).
Choice Boards can be used for communication:
– About choices in daily life, such as “What would you like to eat for lunch?”, “Where would you like to go for a walk?”, “What do you want to watch on TV?”, etc.
– About rewards during an ABA or other learning session, replacing a velcro choice board
– As a general AAC communication help
Choice Boards allows a parent or teacher to create and manage multiple choice boards. Each choice board consists of up to six pictures selected from the iPad’s Photo Library.
Once a choice board is prepared, we can go out of editing mode and present it to the child for choosing one of the pictures. In this mode the choice board is shown without any distracting UI elements, showing just the pictures in full screen mode.
The choice can be made by tapping a picture. It gets enlarged to clearly indicate what was chosen.
The parent or teacher can toggle the editing mode anytime by double tapping anywhere on the choice board.
Please note that the app does not contain any ready to use picture library. You can do web search for pictures with Safari, save them to the Photo Library and later use in Choice Boards. Or you can use pictures taken with the iPad’s camera and saved in the Photo Library.
App Store link: Choice Boards
Comments, questions and ideas for enhancements are welcome and can be sent to email@example.com.
– an iPhone version
– support for all screen orientations
possibility to get pictures directly from the camera (done!)
– built-in web photo search
– library of ready to use picture cards
enhance pictures with text (done!)
– translation to other languages